February 26, 2018 | by  | in Ngāi Tauira Opinion |

Te Ara Tauira

Nau mai ki te pūrongo tuatahi ō Te Ara Tauira 2018. Ko te tūmanako i pai te raumati, ā i hoki ora mai koutou.

Last year in October, Ngāi Tauira had a successful AGM, filling all 8 positions and welcoming a brand new executive to run and grow Ngāi Tauira in 2018. Our new executive is made up entirely of fresh faces who are motivated and passionate about university and university life for tauira Māori. Ngāi Tauira is often described as the Whānau at university for Māori students who endeavour on this education journey.

Our new executive:

Nikayla Jonas & Aidan Crawford – Tumuaki Takirua (Co-presidents)

Te Ama Rere tai Rangihuna – Pou Tuarongo (Vice President/Culture and Kapa haka Officer)

Jade Gifford – Apiha Tūmatanui (Media and Communications Officer)

Kamaia Takuira-Mita – Apiha Matauranga (Academic Officer)

Regan Sword – Apiha Hauora (Sports and Well-being Officer)

Pounamu Tipiwai-Chambers – Apiha Whakangahau (Events Officer)

Kaihau Paitai – Kaitiaki Putea (Treasurer)

Danielle Sword – Secretary

We have envisioned a year of academic success for Māori students through the incorporation of Māori values and initiatives. Using Noho Marae/study wananga and core Māori values and language to create a better outcomes and experiences for tauira while they get their degrees. We have also envisioned a year of relationship building and collaboration with our student leadership counterparts VUWSA & PSC and using our unity to fight battles outside of university, i.e fairer fares and upcoming rental WOF schemes.

As a key part of Te Ao Māori at university we also want to promote our culture and language through all of Victoria’s campuses, working with Te Herenga Waka Marae, Te Roopu Awhina, Te Putahi Atawhai and our other Māori student associations, Ngā Rangahautira and Ngā Taura umanga, to “MAKE IT MĀORI”, and make it comfortably Māori.

No reira, Ngā mihi nui o te tau hou kia tatou katoa!

Nā Nikayla Jonas rāua ko Aidan Crawford

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America