February 26, 2018 | by  | in Politics |

The Party Line

Given that National and the Greens are preparing to select new party leaders, what traits, in your opinion, make for a strong and suitable leader?

Vic Nats

Being a leader of a political party is one the hardest jobs a person can have. They have to defend their party from attack, keep their caucus united, and ensure their policies are appealing to voters. They must be strong enough to respond to attacks without being affected by them. The openness of our democratic nation often leads party leaders to be criticised on their views and policies. A strong leader knows that regardless of the intensity of such critiques, there is always an opportunity to learn and adapt. It is without a doubt, that a leader must possess strong communication abilities to be able to do this. Party leaders will meet with countless people from all walks of life and must be able to understand each person’s perspectives. In order to empower and inspire, the leader must be able to curate these views to create meaningful policies.

– Sam Stead

Young Greens

To be a leader, especially in politics, one has to lead the people they represent. By virtue, they must understand the people they represent if they are to be effective in advocating for their communities and their constituents.

The true measure of any society, is how it treats its most vulnerable. To be able to understand and empathise with those who we’ve let fall through the safety net, is a quality unrivalled in the ability to understand one of the greatest challenges our country faces,

To be able to challenge power, to be authentic, and to do so compassionately, requires an outstanding leader. Bringing people together and uniting them under a message, a belief in a greater future, is no easy feat. Both Julie Anne Genter and Marama Davidson have the unique ability to lead the Green Party exceptionally well. We’re spoilt for choice; I mean, who HAS heard of Mark Mitchell?

– Max Tweedie

Young Labour

Aside from what is most obvious, i.e: the leader must embody their party’s views, must be able to work with all sectors of the New Zealand social and economic life, and use this to channel their vision for New Zealand, we think they should also meet this set of criteria:

– The leader should use te reo and respect te ao Māori. Continuing to the movement to reaching a fully bilingual and multi-culturally welcoming New Zealand.

– The leader should be a feminist. They should be proud to call themselves one and actively use their position to make the country of complete gender equity and sexual equality.

– They should recognize the critical threat that Climate Change and environmental degradation pose to all peoples, and be prepared to front that challenge.

– They should know when to shut up at Waitangi – and accept listening to the words kaumatua. @johnnyandbillybois.

These traits should surpass the divides of politics.

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,