Eye on Exec

Marlon kicked the meeting off. “Welcome to meeting number five, numero… five!”

Rhianna Morar, our new Education Officer, was warmly welcomed into the exec. She also lead the karakia.

The exec decided to buy a people mover. It’s a 2006 black Mazda MPV eight seater, with a black cloth interior. It’s going to cost $13,440 for the van, $15,785 including a tow bar and insurance, and another $700-800 for a reversing camera.Screenshot 2018-03-25 14.16.27

Image: Artist rendering of the new VUWSA van.

The exec discussed March on Midland. Marlon said it was “breathtaking seeing students out there empowering themselves”. Beth said “that was the best day, the rally, I feel real lucky to be there… [I think the] chanting and yelling was really therapeutic”. There was widespread media coverage, and Marlon has met with several community stakeholders after the rally. Geo said that the Filipino community would like to thank VUWSA for the rally, mentioning that sexual harassment was a problem encountered by migrant workers also. Beth thanked the long list of people who were involved. She discussed the next steps of this campaign: making the Student To-Do List happen, and having focus groups targeting the Government, the Law Society, law firms, and outreach. There was some discussion about whether the campaign would target only Law, or sexual harassment in the wider community.

Marlon spoke with Grant Robertson about postgrad allowance, sexual violence in law firms, and how the Green’s pledge of giving under 25s free counselling would affect counselling services in universities.

Marlon met with NZUSA, who discussed restoring the eligibility of students in long courses, such as medicine, to access student allowances or loans beyond seven years FTE study, and ending age discrimination for student allowances (currently you can’t get a student allowance if you’re over 65).

Marlon went to the said the Academic Board meeting. He said it was “weird”, a “big room with heaps of really smart people”. He noted that Grant Guilford sits in this chair that’s slightly higher than everyone else.

Marlon went to the Tenancy Advocacy Network meeting. They discussed the review of the Residential Tenancies Act coming up later this year.

Beth and Ella are going to a Living Wage Community Organization training, sponsored by VUWSA.

The exec passed a motion to thank all the candidates who ran for Education Vice President.

The Chat in the Hat remains under contention, with our president describing it as “stupid”. Beth’s motion to end it was drowned out by a vehement “no” from Ella and Simran. The topic under discussion this week was “theme song for VUWSA”. Below is a list of suggestions. Results will be decided upon by Facebook poll.

Paddy: Africa, Toto

Ella: Bodak Yellow, Cardi B

Rhianna: Wagon Wheel, Old Crow Medicine Show

Simran: Wannabe, Spice Girls

Beth: Big Spender, Shirley Bassey

Geo: Friday I’m in Love, The Cure

Jack: Curb your Enthusiasm theme, Wonderwall, Oasis

Marlon: God’s Plan, Drake

1. Access Denied – Invisible City
  2. Tapu and Noa
  3. It’s not you, it’s Hookup Culture
  5. Touching on Taboo
  6. WOMAD
  7. National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation
  8. Doin’ it for the Retweets: NZ Police’s Rainbow Car
  10. Sexual Violence Court Pilot