March 12, 2018 | by  | in *News* News |

House Fire Started and Extinguished by Local Boy

It has been revealed that a large house fire, which began late last Saturday night, was both started and extinguished by the 7 year old son of the owner, Mr Keith Flint.

Salient has been informed that the fire was lit after a trip to the annual New Zealand Tractor Convention held in Spark Arena (previously Vector Arena). The boy, previously known for his obsession with tractors, had apparently been denied the opportunity to sit on a new altra Versu T254 Smart Touch tractor by convention security. Altra Versu T254 Smart Touch recently received the Tractor of the Year award from the Tractor of the Year organisation.

This denial left the boy distraught, fleeing to hide under a nearby combine harvester for several hours. Upon arriving home sometime after 10pm, the boy went directly to his room. After stripping the large amounts of tractor paraphernalia from his walls and shelves, sources tell Salient he lit the pile on fire in his room with petrol and matches sourced from the family garage.

The fire quickly spread. Fortunately, the residents escaped before the house was engulfed. Fire crews attempted to extinguish the fire but struggled due to “the size and intensity” of the flames, local Fire Chief Sam Peyton said.

However, sections of the house were saved by quick thinking from Mr Flint’s 7 year old son.

The boy entered the house through a side door unnoticed by onlookers. Several minutes later, the flames had gone out.

At around 1:35am, the boy exited the now extinguished house through the front door, unscathed.

Although most of the house was destroyed, the miraculous actions of the boy saved several items of financial and personal value to the family.

When asked for comment by Salient reporters, the boy explained that he was “an extractor fan”.

Although nobody was harmed, Fire Chief Peyton “hopes this acts as a timely reminder to check fire alarms, and ensure matches and volatile materials are kept out of reach of children”.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this