March 5, 2018 | by  | in Arts Theatre |

How to Write an Album in 12 Hours

I have a particularly good understanding of the theatre making process, but when it comes to writing an album, not so much. What if there was a way to combine the spontaneity of the music, with the display of theatre, and the collaboration of band members and audience alike? Oh wait, there is a show like that! It’s called How to Write an Album in 12 Hours!

#HTWAAI12H is a devised Masters of Fine Arts (MFA) show directed by the multi-talented Liam Kelly, and I was fortunate enough to see it in January as part of the Victoria University’s Summer of 77 mini festival. Each hour, the band, The Undercuts, had to write and perform a song based on their own hourly challenges (i.e. drop a beat, swap instruments, create a song in silence, etc.), as well as material from the audience, which was then released on Facebook half an hour later by Oliver Devlin – amazing!

One of my friends described the role of the audience as “actively relaxing” – I couldn’t agree more. It felt like we were in someone’s lounge jamming together (and I can’t really “jam”). The set had the band on a small stage and the audience had couches, bean bags, and pillows to sit on, and a food table in the corner. They had a “banana chair” for an audience member to sit in if they had an idea and the band wasn’t paying them attention. Their album cover was set up the opposite side of the room on an easel for anyone to add to its art.

My favourite aspect of this show was its inclusion. The Undercuts and Kelly were so warm and welcoming, actively speaking to the audience to encourage suggestions. It didn’t feel like the band was making this music on their own – everyone in the room was making it and everyone was invested in it, which made it even more fun.

I came to the hour of “phone”. The Undercuts called forth an audience member to ring someone and ask who they had a fight with most recently, and what the context of the fight was. We rang two people with the first audience member, and it went to voicemail. The next audience member called three people, all of the calls went to voicemail, but five minutes later she received seven texts. A comment was made about how we as a society might not pick up the phone, but will write a message later. A conversation started about the last fight she was in, which was more like someone going cold on her and freezing her out. Ghosting. And thus the song was sparked, my personal favourite.

Each member of The Undercuts are extremely talented in their instrument, and open in their discussion with the audience and themselves. Zoe Joblin was simply bangin’ on the drums, and Pippa Drakeford-Croad, lead singer, is a lyrical genius with the pipes to fill Studio 77 and genuinely quite entertaining. Everyone should be proud of this show, and everyone, not just musos, should see this show!

Each song was named with the audience, as was the album, One Night Band, which is available to listen to for free on Soundcloud (I downloaded Soundcloud specifically so that I could listen to them!).

And the best part is that the show will be back for the Fringe Festival Sunday 11th of March from 12pm to 12am at Meow! Be sure not to miss this awesome experience!

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America