March 12, 2018 | by  | in Mauri Ora Opinion |

Mauri Ora

Vaccines – your BEST method of protection!

Whether you are living in Halls or flatting with friends, young people sharing accommodation are at greater risk of infection. Bugs you might encounter range from mild common ones such as cough and cold viruses, to more serious ones such as flu, pneumonia or meningitis. The good news is that you can protect yourself against many of them, so book an appointment with the nurses at Mauri Ora to discuss which vaccines might be suitable for you:

• Routine childhood vaccines – most people born in NZ were fully vaccinated during childhood to a range of diseases including tetanus, hepatitis B, whooping cough, polio, mumps, measles and rubella. Most of these vaccinations will protect you for many years, but it is worth checking that you had all yours when you were younger – if you didn’t, I’d suggest having a conversation about which ones are important to have now. This will vary depending on your situation – e.g. hepatitis B can be important if you are sexually active, whereas tetanus/polio might be more important if you are considering travelling overseas. For people born overseas, check what immunisations you had, and ask us to give you boosters or extra vaccines if required. Note that some charges may apply depending on your circumstances.
  • Flu vaccine – living in Halls is a big risk factor for catching flu.  We offer free vaccination to all students from April, so bring your friends along and protect yourselves. Vaccines will be available in the Hub, in halls, and on all campuses so keep an eye out for the Student Health team!
  • Meningitis – this is unfortunately not a free vaccine, but definitely worth considering (especially for 1st year students). Menactra costs $103, and gives good protection not only for your time in Halls, but also if you are considering travelling overseas during your time at Vic.
  • Gardasil – this amazing vaccine is free for all NZ residents, up to the age of 27. Others can choose to pay for it. It gives really good protection against HPV – the virus that causes not only genital warts, but also cancer of the penis and cervix. Sexually active or not, this is one I wouldn’t miss out on!

Book a nurse appointment at Mauri Ora to organise your vaccines this term – and stay healthy!