March 5, 2018 | by  | in Politics |

New Zealand First Deputy Announced

Winston Peters has announced that New Zealand First’s new deputy leader is Fletcher Tabuteau, following a caucus meeting on 27 February 2018. His new role will include Parliamentary Under-Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs and to the Minister for Regional Economic Development.

Despite the confidence with which Tabuteau’s appointment was met from his co-workers, reporter Lloyd Burr has doubts about the new deputy leader’s efficacy, referring to him as a “relative newcomer”.

Tabuteau says he “wants the best for the people of New Zealand”, and for the government to make decisions in the best interests of the population.

Tabuteau has experience within the tourism, business consulting, and marketing industries. Before his position in Parliament, he was a lecturer in economics and business.

Government Plans for Education

New Zealand’s educational reputation has come under fire during an investigation this week. According to Labour MP Chris Hipkins, research shows that National “failed” schools and students during their time in Government, reporting a 40% drop in numbers of people enrolled in teacher training.

Hipkins also stated that tertiary enrolments overall declined between 2010 and 2016.

Despite Hipkins’ criticism of the late National Government, Labour’s newly introduced “fees free” first year policy for tertiary students is yet to prove substantively effective in bolstering first year enrolment numbers.

Victoria University has stated, “It is too early in the enrolment process to comment with any accuracy. In general terms, enrolments for 2018 across Victoria University are either on a par with 2017 or somewhat ahead. Similarly, we are as yet unable to make any comment on the impact of the fees free policy”.

Hipkins still believes that the Labour government will improve the standards for students and teachers, by introducing a 9.5 million teacher supply package before Christmas. He also said that Labour “have started the ball rolling on ways to tackle the long term strategic issue of making the teaching profession more attractive”. He did not say how or when this will be achieved by the new Government.