Obama & Clinton to Visit NZ

Following the growing theme of American billionaires escaping to New Zealand, former American President Barack Obama and former American Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have announced upcoming visits to New Zealand.

Obama will be the first to arrive when he lands on 21 March 2018 for a two day visit.

The NZ-US Council, a non-profit group dedicated to strengthening ties between the two countries, set up the event. Chairman of the council Leon Grice promoted the visit, saying “President Obama’s presidency had an extraordinary impact on the world and during his service, New Zealand’s deep friendship with the United States was strengthened politically, culturally, in trade and investment, innovation and security”.  

In order to afford such a high-profile guest, Air New Zealand stepped in to sponsor the former President’s visit. Sir John Key currently sits on the Air New Zealand board of directors, and has managed to arrange a round of golf between the two former world leaders while they’re both in Auckland.

A couple of months later in May, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will be arriving in Auckland. Clinton is doing the rounds giving a “candid account” of the 2016 US Presidential election. It will cost a controversial $195NZD per regular ticket and $495NZD per VIP ticket to see her speak on tour in New Zealand.

This will be Obama’s first visit to New Zealand, and Clinton’s third. Clinton travelled the Pacific extensively during her time as Secretary of State to promote her foreign policy goal, “a pivot to Asia”, in which she famously improved NZ-US military ties following a tense 30-year period after New Zealand went nuclear free in the 1980s.

Prime Minister Ardern is scheduled to meet Obama during his visit, no word yet on whether she will meet up with Clinton.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos