March 5, 2018 | by  | in Arts Music |

Opium Eater: Ennui

Closing off 2017 was the release of “Ennui” from prominent Wellington Metal Band, Opium Eater. Having recently signed with Sydney-based “Art As Catharsis” records, this album was the springboard they needed into the international market.

“Ennui”, meaning “a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement”, lives up to its name. Ambitiously taking on the task of musically recreating frustration, Ennui utilises “doomscapes” (audio landscapes built from emotional despair) to generate audio textures that overlap and create something beautiful.

Each track, although heavy, contains segments of interesting melodic work, and jangly guitar riffs. “The Effect Of A Tragedy On Its Spectators” utilises space and showcases Opium Eater’s ability to diversify, while also giving the listeners a break from the intense Shepard tone-driven introduction track, “Collapse”.

The title track “Ennui”, and “Babelsteps”, are what made me really enjoy this album. Definitely two of the more commercial tracks, there’s something quite special about them, and the riffs can get stuck in your head if you’re into metal/doom, or anything slow and headbang-worthy.

My one problem with the album is the track “Post-Tense”. While a nice song, it sticks out amidst the rest of the album. It could almost belong on a Radiohead album, if Thom Yorke decided to dye his hair black and get bangs. That said, the vocals and guitar riffs are brilliant.

Rating: 4.3/5

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America