March 5, 2018 | by  | in Opinion Presidential Address |

Presidential Address

Week one ay? Feeling good? Feeling fresh? Ready to learn? That’s grand!
O-Week has been a hoot this year. I’m writing this on Thursday, so maybe there’s going to be a horrible jinx after I’ve sent it off, but so far there’s been a perfect balance of partying really hard but still looking after yourself. That sweet spot we are all searching for. That state of complete bliss when you can actually taste the 1am cheeseburger at Manners Street Maccas. Just wonderful.

Week one is full of opportunities. In your lectures this week you’ll get the chance to become a class rep, the person who acts as the bridge between lecturer and students. It’s not a massive time commitment, but it can make a massive difference in your class, and in the uni. For our student voice to be effective it needs to be everywhere, and a big part of that is in the classroom, where the main business happens. It’s also a cool opportunity to get to know your lecturer! You’ll be spending a lot of time with them over the course of your degree so why not?

It’s also Clubs Week. Connor our Clubs and Activities officer will no doubt spin a yarn about why you should join one, why they’re so great/important, yada yada, and 99% of what he’ll say will be right. Clubs are such an important part of the community and are truly some of  the most welcoming people you’ll meet (most of the time). There really is a club for everyone!

Finally I’d like to end with a massive thank you to all of our volunteers who are helping out over our two O-Weeks. We simply could not do it without you, and it’s been awesome getting to know ya!

Love,

Marlon xx

4. The “F” Word
  5. Super Science Trends
  8. Daphne Commons
  9. Koridor
  10. Where I Came From