March 12, 2018 | by  | in Opinion Presidential Address |

Presidential Address

We’re going full force into week two, yes boi. My last two columns were fun and informative, but would like to take a moment to talk some real shit. I’m talking about your wellbeing! Yes, you. And the reason I’m going to bring it up in week two is because otherwise the first you might hear of it will be in week six, and everybody knows that week six can be pretty hundies, so you might not get the memo then.

First of all, talking about your wellbeing doesn’t have to be the darkest thing in the world. It’s fine to look after yourself in an entirely positive way. Use the spare time and spare thoughts you have now to just think a tiny bit about how you’re going to prepare for lectures, assignments, and exams in relation to your mental health. For me it’s trying to go to the gym as regularly as possible, or at the very least going for a nice walk. Not exactly radical advice, you have probably heard it before, and you will hear it again. The point is, now’s a good time to get prepped for the weeks ahead!

Every year has new challenges, and at times you will feel isolated. Let me be clear now and say that you are not alone. Your peers will often feel just as stressed as you around assessment time, and your lecturers will feel quite a bit of pressure too! We all need to realize that wellbeing is a moving and changing thing for all of us, and now is a good time to start thinking about how you’re going to handle the mahi that awaits you over the next few weeks.

That’s all for now, look after yourselves whanau, and remember that you are worth it!

1. Legalising Abortion Is Still Best Option, Even for Pro-Lifers
  2. hidden figures
  3. Accessibility: Teri O’Neill is Running for Council
  4. VUW’s Women are Fucking Good at Sport
  5. Research: Third of Tertiary Students Sexually Assaulted At University
  6. Battle Of The SECS’: VUW Failing Women In Tech
  7. Issue 15 – Feminism