Pyeongchang Winter Olympics Draws to Close

Sunday 25 February 2018 saw the Closing Ceremony of the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics.

Norway gained the top position on the medal table with 14 gold, and 39 medals total. The win was secured by Norway’s Marit Bjørgen, who won the final gold medal of the Games in the 30km cross-country ski. The medal was Bjørgen’s 15th, making her the most decorated Winter Olympian in history.

Germany came in second with 14 gold, and 31 medals total, with Canada in third place earning 11 gold medals out of a total of 29.

The Canadians will be hurting, however, after losing to the United States in the women’s ice hockey final by a single goal in a dramatic penalty shootout.

New Zealand, meanwhile, had its best Winter Olympics yet after two bronze medals were won by a pair of 16 year olds, Zoi Sadowski Synnott and Nico Porteous.

Synnott secured her bronze in the snowboard Big Air with a score of 92.00 on her second run. It was the second best single run score of the day, behind Austrian gold medalist Anna Gasser’s score of 96.00.

Porteous followed up  with a bronze in the freestyle skiing halfpipe, making it the first time in history that New Zealand has won two medals in the Winter Olympics. Fellow Kiwi, Beau-James Wells, was pushing Porteous for the final podium spot, but Porteous’s second run score of 94.80 proved enough to beat his compatriot’s final run of 91.60.

The 2022 Winter Olympics will be held in Beijing. With the two young medalists leading the New Zealand team, hopes will be high for more success.

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America