Rumours False: You Won’t Have to Pay Back Your Fees

A rumour is circulating Victoria University recently that the first-year fees-free offer is conditional, and that in order to be eligible you have to finish your degree, otherwise you will be required to pay back your fees. Another rumour is that if you don’t pass your first-year courses, you will also be required to pay back your fees.

Studylink and the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) has informed Salient in no uncertain terms that these rumours are false. The claims of repayment are “absolutely not true” according to Lyn Holland of the TEC, which was corroborated by a representative from Studylink.

Salient addressed these rumours in interviews with first-year students Shanti Mathias and Madison Daly, who both said they had heard the rumours but were unsure of the truth.

Mathias, first-year Anthropology and English student, about the fees-free initiative and how it has affected her ideas about education. She said that the initiative had definitely influenced her decision to pursue a university education.

“I always knew I wanted to study, but it definitely made me certain that I wanted to study in New Zealand as opposed to somewhere overseas – it’s just so much cheaper.”

Mathias’ decision to study Arts was not influenced by the fact that there is no cost, but she does admit to the temptation to take more papers than necessary “because it’s free”.

First-year commerce student Daly, when asked whether he thought that fees-free may tempt students to not take university as seriously as they would if they had to pay for their tuition, said he believed the opposite, and that the changes encouraged prospective students to take their education more seriously.

“I reckon it’s pretty similar cause [I] still have to pay for living costs, so I think it’s kinda making me work harder. You’ve been given a real good opportunity so you want to make the most of it.”