March 5, 2018 | by  | in Politics |

The Party Line

This week in the news, a student from Pakuranga College tried to wear a colander on his head for his school photos, citing his religion as Pastafarian. His school refused to allow him. What are your stances on wearing religious attire in public, at school, and in places of employment?”

Labour at Vic

Wow, who would’ve thought this kid, this happy go lucky teen, would spark such a wholesome, meaningful debate in our student magazine. The kid certainly didn’t think so!

The Labour Party has historically supported religious freedoms. As Pastafarianism is an official religion of New Zealand, it is thus included in this. There is debate as to whether Pastafarianism was created as a “satirical religion” (quoted from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster website), but regardless of this, if any other recognised religion or perhaps an existing cultural norm is being targeted then we would of course defend the kid.

In the Labour Party’s constitution it states that “the same basic human rights…apply to all people…regardless of…religious faith”.

-Teri O’Neill

Vic Nats

The Young Nats have always supported individuals right to religious freedom. As long as their clothing does not wrongfully impact others or breach BORA, then we have no problem with people wearing religious dress. Regardless of it being at home, in public, or in the workplace.

-Grahame Woods

Young Greens

Whilst I admire his commitment to his longstanding religious beliefs, there’s a rather large hole (or rather, multiple small holes) in his demands for his Pastafarian background to be respected. He cites no religious text, or other group of Pastafarians fighting oppression in the dreaded school hall on photo day.

However, some say that religion was created in place of having all of the answers to humanity’s existence. For him to conclude that the answer was pasta, is a groundbreaking explanation that has been staring us in the face for years. The beautiful, carb-filled spirals of pasta, so easy to heat up, and oh so cheap, is obviously the reason we exist in the first place.

While his smart-ass, authority-questioning measure brought a smile to my face and a frown to his teachers’, it may not have been the most productive way for him to communicate his groundbreaking discovery for the reason behind our existence. Regardless, I am converting to be a Pastafarian, and in place of my Green tinfoil hat, I will proudly wear a colander. The Green Party proudly stands in solidarity with colanders and other prohibited religious headwear.

-Max Tweedie

Insights From My Dad

Okay, well, my first reaction was “what the hell is a Pastafarian”… then I re-read the question and the reference to a colander sort of gave it away.

The way I look at it is that throughout history, cultures have worshiped many different imaginary friends, not always with a great deal of tolerance for one another.

What’s so bad about wearing a colander, or a tea cosy, or whatever?  No one loses an eye, right?!  So yes, obviously he should be allowed to wear the colander.  In this liberal day and age it is extremely important for all races and creeds to be allowed to express their religious beliefs without ridicule or judgement by wearing a cross or a colander.  The dude likes pasta, where is the harm in worshiping Italian cuisine?  At least pasta is real and hasn’t incited the deaths of millions.            

– News Ed. Sash’s Dad

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this