March 26, 2018 | by  | in Arts Theatre |

The Travelling Sisters Troupe – Milke

5/5

Starting out in black leotards, Shakespearean collars and wig caps, singing a song about how the Travelling Sisters began (“We performed to two people and a steak! Oh well…”), these three women delighted me with their show — ten wacky skits with original comedic music playing over transitions. This show doesn’t keep anything hidden: the performers rarely went off stage, and almost always got ready onstage, putting on wigs and make up as well as costumes.

I couldn’t decide my favourite skit. Was it the pickle/cactus tap dancing boy who just wanted to be loved? Or was it watching Ell Sachs struggle to sing with massive fake teeth that kept popping out?

While the show may not have an obvious particular overarching theme, I took away the ideas of being confident in who you are no matter what. In particular, the final song’s chorus spoke to me: “Swing your dick and touch your face, throw your tits into outer space, you’re just like the moon.”

The audience felt safe and comfortable in the hands of this energetic and charismatic troupe. We enjoyed interacting with them (even if it was slightly awkward at first), even singing along at the end of the show.

For me, this is the exact kind of comedic theatre I aspire to create: bold, dramatic characters, and a show that is so bizarre, the audience starts off not knowing what the show is about, and leaving with their faces sore due to laughter.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this