March 5, 2018 | by  | in Opinion The Queer Agenda |

UniQ: The Queer Agenda

Kia ora! Welcome to VUW to new students, and welcome back to those who are returning (and a special hello to those of you who came to our O-Week events, hope you had a brilliant time).

UniQ Victoria, is the LGBTQIA+ representative group here at VUW. We’re a social and supportive group for queer students, running regular events, and creating safe spaces. Our executive members also take action to improve the situation for queer students at the university, including sitting as members on the Student Equity and Diversity Committee.

Week 1 is Clubs week, so come to the Hub at Kelburn campus Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday and talk to us! Our exec members will be at a stall where you can ask questions or just have a chat. We’ll be in the rep group corner with all the colourful pride flags!

We on the UniQ exec are very excited about our plans for this year. We have 2 meet ups every single week, starting in week 2!

Mondays, 12pm-2pm: Gender Club in SU218 alternates weekly with Lunch Space at the Hunter Lounge.

Fridays 1pm-3pm: Games Space alternates weekly with Facilitated Discussions, both in SU218.

Our movie nights are held on the first Friday of every month; our first was during O-Week (on Thursday as an exception), when we screened the modern classic, 2014’s Pride.

In Trimester 2 we have our Pride Week, a busy week completely packed full of activities, and featuring our takeover of Salient for an entire queer-centric issue, so look forward to that.

There have also been whispers of a potential Queer Ball… ooo…

Let us know if there’s anything else you’d like to see from us.

The absolute best way to get all our updates, and info on our events, is to like our Facebook page UniQ Victoria @uniq.victoria.9 (we also share some interesting articles and top notch memes), and you can also check out our website:

There’s a lot to look forward to this year, and we hope you’ll share it with us!

Yours, sincerely and queerly,

Ace and Erin xx

Co-Presidents 2018

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America