Website Cover Photo
March 12, 2018 | by  | in News Splash |

Vic Books Hacked; Bitcoin Demanded

Last Tuesday 6 March, Kelburn Vic Books computers were attacked, resulting in their servers being encrypted. Juliet Blyth, General Manager of Vic Books, arrived at work on 8:00am Tuesday morning to find a message from the hackers on her computer screen, demanding a ransom in Bitcoin.

Vic Book’s IT company took down the Vic Books server as a precautionary measure. The computer systems were down until 4:30pm on Tuesday.

Customers were unable to purchase books all day, on what is usually Vic Books’ “second busiest day of the year”.

IT Engine has informed Vic Books that the virus was created by a “group of international people with sophisticated systems”.

Blyth denies the possibility that the hackers timed the break with the start of the trimester, saying that the timing was coincidental. “They try it on with a lot of systems… it’s just our bad luck”.

Systems being down on Tuesday “inconvenienced a whole lot of people,” however Blyth says that it has not majorly impacted sales. “We lost a little… but students still need their textbooks”.

Blyth is confident that no-one’s private information has been compromised.

Vic Books’ computer security systems are currently under internal review.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this