Victoria University Lecturer Accused of Spreading Misinformation

Adeline Greig, a Board Member for Gender Minorities Aotearoa, has written to Victoria University in objection to a university faculty member “publically spreading a false history of the holocaust on twitter”.

In an “open letter for wide publication” released on 28 February 2018, Grieg alleges that Dr Pala Molisa, a lecturer for the Victoria University School of Accounting and Commercial Law, is spreading “crackpot ‘historical negationism’ [centring] around the idea that Nazis helped invent transsexuals and transgender people”.

Dr Molisa’s twitter account shows very few original tweets, but rather a large number of retweets, particularly those from Renee Gerlich (twitter user @renee_jg).

The retweet Greig appears to be referring to in her letter is that which contains an article written nine months ago by Gerlich, comparing modern trans surgery to Nazi experimentation on trans people, entitled “Fundamentalism, Pseudoscience, Romanticism, and Scapegoats: some parallels of gender identity doctrine with Nazi eugenics”.

In a public comment from Greig on Facebook: “[the article] refers to a single source where a psychiatrist speculates that there may be a link between one reported case of genital mutilation torture by Nazis and [Gender Reassignment Surgery] today”.

In another comment on the same Facebook thread, Greig revealed that Molisa and Gerlich have threatened her with defamation litigation. Greig could not be reached for comment.

When contacted by Salient, a from a spokesperson for Victoria University said that “the university is following due process in regard to examining the concerns raised in the letter and will not be commenting further at this time”.

Dr Molisa has declined an interview with Salient on the matter.

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel