March 19, 2018 | by  | in News Splash |

VUW to Offer Free Restorative Justice Course

Victoria University is offering a new Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on the topic of restorative justice.

The free online course ($49 USD if one wants a certificate), entitled Restorative Justice and Practice: Emergence of a Social Movement, is the third such course offered by Victoria in partnership with online education provider edX, under the banner of VictoriaX. The previous courses have looked at the cultural and physical significance of Antarctica and New Zealand’s islands respectively.

The course takes six weeks to complete, at a work rate of 2-5 hours per week, and is recommended for “justice professionals, educationists, social workers, community activists, conflict practitioners and policymakers,” or “anyone committed to a more just, compassionate and peaceful world”.

The course focuses on the fundamentals of restorative justice and its rise as a concept, especially in New Zealand. It also examines its broadening range of applications outside of criminal justice, particularly in education. Prominent New Zealand backers of restorative justice feature in the course, including Children’s Commissioner Judge Andrew Becroft and New Zealand Police Deputy Chief Executive Māori Wallace Haumaha.

The course is to be taught by Professor Chris Marshall and Tom Noakes-Duncan. Registrations open on the 1st of May.

1. Access Denied – Invisible City
  2. Tapu and Noa
  3. It’s not you, it’s Hookup Culture
  5. Touching on Taboo
  6. WOMAD
  7. National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation
  8. Doin’ it for the Retweets: NZ Police’s Rainbow Car
  10. Sexual Violence Court Pilot