Wellington Comes Out for Pride Festival

Wellington’s annual Pride Festival kicked off at Waitangi Park on Saturday 24 February with Out in the Park.

The much-loved “queer fair” was first celebrated in 1986 to rally support for the Homosexual Law Reform Act, and has since expanded into the two-week Wellington Pride Festival.

Now in its thirty-second year, Out in the Park was a joyfully, fabulously, openly queer affair. More than 10,000 Wellingtonians of all genders and sexualities basked in the sun, enjoyed entertainment from drag queens and kings, and engaged with more than 70 stalls giving out free flags, badges, and stickers.

InsideOUT Co-Chair Kate Aschoff considered the event a success, especially for Wellington’s young queer community.

“Out in the Park was a wonderful time for youth, we’re especially proud of the rangatahi who led the youth walk to the park, and the organisers for making efforts to include young performers in the entertainment.”

The Wellington Pride Festival continues throughout this week, concluding Saturday 10 March with the annual International Pride Parade. The full programme for Pride can be found on the festival’s website.