April 30, 2018 | by  | in Eye on Exec Politics |

Eye on Exec

I’ve been reading over all the old “Eye on Exec”s and seems like in the past VUWSA meetings have been dominated by shitty decisions and infighting. I would love to give you dirt on this year’s exec, but so far they appear wholesome as fuck, and as a byproduct there are no dramas or shenanigans to entertain you with.

Highlights of this week: whole lotta meetings. Get ready for some scintillating content.

Marlon met with more people about starting an arts society. He is “excited” about the prospect.

Marlon met with NZUSA to talk about mental health within tertiary institutions.

Simran held a student academic committee meeting, they talked about piloting some aegrotat (which is something you can apply for when you’re too sick to sit exams) workshops. She was sick so she left straight after, clutching her mini hot water bottle.

Beth and Ella are still campaigning hard against sexual violence. The Sexual Violence Law Prevention Campaign has been renamed Not Above the Law, which we can all agree is way catchier.

The Residential Tenancies Act Amendment Bill is coming up in the middle of the year, VUWSA will do a submission when they open, in favour of a rental warrant of fitness, licensing property managers, and banning rent bidding.

VUWSA also plans to submit on the Wellington long term plan. Marlon went around the room and asked everyone, including non VUWSA members, how Wellington could be a student friendly city. More creative spaces, affordable venues, ending sexual violence in town, student housing, a cycleway on the terrace, more promotion of library events, and mental health services, electric buses, were all suggested. (by the way if you’ve got an idea, tell VUWSA. They’d love to hear it!)

Tam made a Halls Committee, with reps from most halls. Committee reported that freshers were happy with O Week but wanted more toilets and individual tickets.

Paddy reported that Student Equity and Diversity didn’t have a meeting because people were busy. But she’s met up with groups individually. The feminist organization are submitting on the abortion law reform, and are planning to have a sharing circle. International students have spoken about tenancy discrimination and inclusivity in VUWSA around non alcoholic events. CanDo are holding fortnightly safe spaces. Marlon suggested that these groups come to a VUWSA meeting.

Marlon cancelled chat in the hat because it was a long meeting and people were tired.