April 30, 2018 | by  | in News Splash |

Government Launches Sexual Assault Helpline

A new multi-platform sexual harm service has been rolled out nationwide, following a successful trial period in Canterbury. Safe to Talk/He Pai Ki Te Kōrero, launched on the 16th of April, was established by the Ministry of Social Development in collaboration with Wellington charity Eva’s Wish. The need for a sexual harm helpline has been championed by Eva McGauley, who founded Eva’s Wish to raise funds and awareness for sexual violence following her diagnosis with terminal cancer. An online messaging service in particular, according to Eva, is the most accessible way to provide sexual assault information and services, especially for youth. This allows people to remain anonymous if they choose, and removes the prohibitive costs of transport and private treatment. Significantly, this is the first sexual assault service in New Zealand to enable survivors to seek help anonymously.

Safe to Talk is a confidential counselling service accessible by phone, email, and online live chat. It provides sexual harm survivors and perpetrators with 24/7 access to information, support, and advice on seeking further support or contacting police. Safe to Talk currently employs 22 trained specialists, including counsellors and social workers, and is available in over 40 languages.

How to get in touch:

Phone: 0800 044 334

Text: 4334

Email: support@safetotalk.nz

Online live chat: www.safetotalk.nz

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this