April 9, 2018 | by  | in *News* |

Nexus Mag Googles “Nexus”, Rebrands

Rebranding is underway at Waikato’s Nexus Magazine, after Editor Lyam Buchanan discovered what “nexus” actually means. Buchanan allegedly caved and googled the word in early April after weeks of being asked about its meaning.

“Nexus” — defined as a “central link or connection” — was reportedly deemed “wildly out of touch with Waikato culture” by majority vote in the emergency Nexus contributors’ meeting that followed Buchanan’s discovery.

While the Nexus meeting was largely in agreement that Hamilton hasn’t been the nexus of anything since it was dethroned as the STI capital of New Zealand in 2016, not everyone voted in favour of the rebrand.

“I think ‘nexus’ resonates,” said one Nexus contributor, who wished to remain anonymous. “I mean, you can’t get to Auckland without going through the Waikato.”Website-Cover-Photo8

The rebrand comes after Nexus and the University of Otago’s Critic offered to purchase Salient in a “joint formal offer” on 23 March.

Nexus was willing to contribute $750 and 1500 Hell’s Pizza discount vouchers (redeemable only at the Hillcrest store in Hamilton) to the purchase of Salient. Critic, known almost exclusively for its booze column(s), sweetened the deal with an additional $750, a “slightly used” Fifa 06 for PlayStation 2, and a pack of breath mints.

It remains unclear at this time if Buchanan will be forced to rescind his hand in the offer in order to meet the considerable cost of buying Nexus out of obscurity.

Salient Editor Louise Lin called the offer “tempting,” but said she couldn’t accept it in good conscience. “I can only guess how expensive it’s going to be, attempting to buy relevance.”

VUWSA President Marlon Drake declined comment, apparently unaware that Waikato had a student magazine.

While the official shortlist remains undisclosed at this time, the Salient office sweepstake has “Critic Jr” pegged as a likely rebrand.

*Disclaimer: This is shit news*

1. Access Denied – Invisible City
  2. Tapu and Noa
  3. It’s not you, it’s Hookup Culture
  5. Touching on Taboo
  6. WOMAD
  7. National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation
  8. Doin’ it for the Retweets: NZ Police’s Rainbow Car
  10. Sexual Violence Court Pilot