April 30, 2018 | by  | in Politics |

Political Round Up

Jacinda Ardern Went Overseas

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has just returned from whirlwind tour to meet with numerous leaders around Europe and the United Kingdom, and to attend the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM).

Leaving on the 13th April, after visiting New Zealand athletes in the Gold Coast, Ardern and her partner Clarke Gayford arrived to meet with French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

In London, the Prime Minister met with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and attended a Q&A session hosted by London Mayor Sadiq Khan, attended by hundreds of pupils. She capped off the day at 10 Downing Street, with a private meeting with British PM Theresa May. After which, she attended the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting to discuss climate change, clean oceans, and a more prosperous future with 51 other states. She also shared a “Private Audience” with the Queen, and met other royals also.

Bill Protecting Māori Protocols Surrounding Death passes 1st reading

A bill that addresses Māori protocols concerning death has passed its first reading in Parliament on the 11th of April.

Justice Minister Andrew Little introduced the bill, which amends Section 26 of the Coroner’s Act 2006. The amendment states coroners would have to consider Māori protocols about who can view or touch a deceased person’s body. Under current legislation, coroners do not have to take into consideration cultural practices when allowing contact with the deceased.

In a statement, Little acknowledged that the death of a loved one can be difficult when it is referred to the coroner but the procedure of investigations will not change.

“In practice, the coroner already considers cultural and spiritual beliefs when making decisions about the access to dead bodies and approaches each request on a case-by-case basis.”

Family members can request a viewing or prolonged stay with a body that is in possession of the coroner if the bill passes into law.  

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this