April 30, 2018 | by  | in Opinion Presidential Address |

Presidential Address

Kia ora mate, it’s the mental health column and I’ve got 300 words to talk about it. Let’s get through it as quickly yet meaningfully as we can!

I went through somes serious bouts of depression, anxiety, and self destructive behaviour over quite a few years. I did counselling for three of those years with 3 different counsellors. I got through it and I’m really proud of that. Everyone gets down sometimes though, so I’ve got some helpful things to remember for when YOU are a depressed Dave.

1. Remember, a nasty affliction of depression is not you. Your anxiety isn’t who you are. Underneath the grey blanket there is a person who is just waiting to throw off the covers and get out of bed, and that’s true no matter how heavy the blanket is.
  2. Make sure you ask for help. Not because I said so, or because everyone is telling you to, but because you are worth it. Despite what the black dog may be barking, you are the cat’s meow.
  3. It’s okay to be sad. Being sad is just like being happy, which is just like being angry, which is just like being scared, etc. Depression has a funny way of taking your feelings and turning them into something a bit fucked, but when that happens, that’s okay too. Just remind yourself what’s happening.
  4. Get to know yourself, and look after yourself. The fact is, it’s a wild world out there, and it’s reasonably full of noise. Sometimes the volume is up a bit high, but just remember the immortal words of George Harrison: all things must pass!

These are four things I tell myself. They might not work for you, or they might. Everyone is different. The best way to figure out what works is to talk, and talk lots, even to yourself as a start! Look after yourself out there.

Lots of love,

Marlon x