RockQuest to Take on Stage Challenge Replacement

RockQuest Promotions Ltd are initiating the replacement events for Stage Challenge and J-Rock in 2018. These events are as yet unnamed.

Stage Challenge is no longer a recurring annual event in New Zealand schools, nor is the pre-high-school showcase, J-rock. As of early January, the dance and stage performance showcase run by The Stage Challenge Foundation has been discontinued due to unaffordability.

While a long-term solution is being developed by the Ministry of Education, RockQuest has been handed the one-off contract for 2018 alone, funding them with $800,00 for the events.

In previous years, the Ministry spent $267,000 annually to support Stage Challenge, and while the overall cost of the events ($984,142 in 2016) had been going down year by year, “the income generated from sponsorship and ticket sales in 2018 [would] be insufficient to produce the events to the high standard that [had] been done in the past”, the foundation has told teachers.

After the initial cancellation of the events, independent theatre and performing arts enthusiasts, the Hamilton Operatic Society, and Clarence St Theatre in the Waikato and Bay of Plenty, were working on an independent replacement event for both regions.

It is unclear whether the organisation of this independent event will continue after the announcement of national events by RockQuest.

1. Podcasts on Pop Culture
  2. Interview with The Beths
  3. Departures
  4. NZIFF Pt 2 (We Saw More Films)
  5. DIY Alcohol
  6. Books to Inspire Your Travels
  8. In Our Environment