April 30, 2018 | by  | in Opinion UniQ |

The Queer Agenda

I hope your mid-tri break was relaxing, full of sleep, and gave you time to catch your breath!

As some of you may have seen, a few weeks ago, myself and Bethany (VUWSA’s awesome Welfare Vice President) presented an oral submission to the select committee on the Births, Deaths and Marriages Amendment Bill. Our submission was to advocate for the process of changing the sex marker on one’s birth certificate to be taken out of the Family Court, and instead done through the Department of Internal Affairs as a self-declaration (like with passports), making it an easier and less stressful process. We also stated that the current requirement for a person to have had medical treatment is inequitable, because not everybody who knows their gender is different to what was assigned to them at birth(or those who do not identify with gender), needs or wants to have medical treatment. This only enforces a binary system in a world that is much bigger than a binary. We proposed that one could change their marker to M, F or request to leave that section blank, because ultimately, a birth certificate is just a record of a birth. Whichever marker gets placed on the certificate is just a doctor looking at you and saying that if you’ve got X down there, therefore you are X. Whatever is “in your pants” is absolutely not the determinant of your identity. No-one but you can be the judge of your identity.

I hope the people who will be affected by this have been taken into account first and foremost, because everyone deserves the right to have security in their identity.

You’re all wonderful humans, and you all deserve the absolute best <3  

Queerly yours,

Erin