April 30, 2018 | by  | in News Splash |

Trump’s America

The Department of Justice released memos from James Comey to congressional leaders last week, in which the former FBI director detailed early interactions with President Trump. The memos note the President’s attempts to discredit the contents of the infamous Steele Dossier — a document containing salacious claims that stand to threaten the Trump presidency.

Christopher Steele, a former M16 intelligence agent, was subcontracted by private investigation firm Fusion GPS to investigate Donald Trump and Russia in 2016. His findings make up the controversial 35-page Dossier. Initially, CNN reported on the existence of classified documents claiming Russian operatives were in possession of “compromising personal and financial information” about Trump. Steele’s report was then published by BuzzFeed in January 2017, and met with widespread scepticism. In the past year, many conversations that “took place between the same individuals on the same days and from the same locations as detailed in the dossier” have been verified, giving US intelligence “greater confidence” in the credibility of Steele’s claims.

The Steele Dossier reveals a conspiracy in which Russian agents “cultivated” Donald Trump in an operation that was overseen by Russian President Vladimir Putin. Russia set to bolster Trump and support his presidency so as to undermine public faith in the US government. The Dossier details an $11 billion deal in which Trump was offered a 19% stake in Russian energy company Rosneft, in exchange for lifting Russian sanctions. The Dossier also claims Donald Trump’s susceptibility to blackmail. It reports an incident in which Trump allegedly hired “a number of prostitutes to perform a ‘golden showers’ show in front of him”, so as to defile a bed used by Barack and Michelle Obama in a previous visit to Moscow. This event reportedly took place when Donald Trump visited Moscow for the 2013 Miss Universe Pageant, and was filmed by the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation to be used as blackmail. Donald Trump has referred to the Dossier and its contents as “fake news”.

James Comey’s memos reveal a conversation in which “The President said ‘the hookers thing’ is nonsense but that Putin had told him ‘we have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world.’” Donald Trump also assured Comey that he never spent the night in Moscow. Thomas Roberts, host of the 2013 Miss Universe pageant, has claimed he first met Donald Trump on November 8th at the event, and that Trump did not leave for New York until the early hours of November 10th. Additionally, testimony from Donald Trump’s bodyguard, social media activity, and flight records pertaining to Trump’s time in Russia all indicate that the President was lying to the FBI Director when he refuted this aspect of the Dossier claims.