April 16, 2018 | by  | in News Splash |

Weir House Playground Replaced

The public playground behind Weir House is in the process of being replaced, with expectations that this will be complete by the end of April.

The old playground equipment had passed its use-by date, and needed updating to comply with the Council’s “asset management planning, play spaces policy, [and] suburban reserves management plans,” as well as with New Zealand playground standards, according to City Councillor Fleur Fitzsimons.

The upgrade has been on the Council playground renewals programme for a number of years, and cost $85,000.

The old playground set was sentimental for a lot of ex-Weir House residents, being the site of much late-night stress smoking and drunken debauchery.

One ex-resident told Salient the upgrade was a “crock of shit,” and that “a good swing before going to drink at the fountain was a part of going to Weir”. Another told us he “got a smiley burnt into [his] arm on the slide”.

The new playground will have the swing set and slide, with the addition of more contemporary equipment.

Jo Nicoll, Night Manager at Weir, said she’s seen a lot happen in the playground over the years she’s been working nights that she wishes she could unsee, but did not disclose any details to Salient.

If i told you then i would lose the trust of my residents who know what happens in the dark stays in the dark between those involved to have a giggle over in years to come and myself who will keep for consideration should i pen the “memoirs of a residential Night Manager” when i retire [sic],” Nicoll said in an email to Salient.

A media representative from the Wellington City Council said there have been no noise complaints about the playground over the last year, but “if your story causes more students to want to drink there, it’d be cool if you suggest they give some consideration to the neighbours. And that they don’t piss in the fountain :)”.