May 28, 2018 | by  | in Features |

A taxonomy of the Wellington thrift stores I’ve spent my Studylink on

Say what you want about environmentalists, but when it comes to thrift shopping we know our shit. Buying your clothes second-hand saves so many resources it’s unreal, making it a rare ethical lifestyle choice that’s still actually enjoyable (I miss cheese so much you guys).

Thrift 5/5
For me, Thrift is king. Hear me out: you’re not going to walk out of here with a Lonely shirt for $10, but the tradeoff you make for its mid-range pricing is its impeccable curation. When I was in high school I waited until 3 hours before my leavers’ ball started to go shopping for a dress, and Thrift pulled through for me. The selection always has me drooling and honestly, the prices are cheaper than Glassons anyway.
Newtown (Anywhere) 3/5
You, too, can contribute to the ongoing gentrification of Newtown by frequenting one of its abundant charity stores. Go in with an open mind: will you find a blazer to distract everyone at your job interview from the fact that you have zero qualifications? Probably not. Will you find a pastel-pink cowgirl jacket with electric-blue fringing? Also no, because I already bought it last week.
Spacesuit 3/5
Ethical dilemma: Spacesuit sells rad clothes, but they’re also all imported, so it’s time for me to be a killjoy and point out that imported clothes are significantly less kind on the environment (air pollution, thumbs down). All the clothes you buy from retail stores are imported anyway though, so I guess this is the lesser of two evils. If you’re looking to expand the LA 90s grunge section of your wardrobe, this is the place.
Aunty Dana’s Op Shop 4/5
Aunty Dana’s is run out of the Anarchist Centre on Abel Smith Street and raises money for Gender Minorities Aotearoa — you should already be sold. The clothes deliberately aren’t separated by gender, so if you wanna buy a dress and you don’t have a vagina then that’s chill. I support you. Aunty Dana’s supports you.

Ziggurat 2/5
What the fuck? I can’t afford any of these things.
Tangent & Company 4/5
If you’re a dude and feel personally victimised by this article then I’m here for you now. With a weirdly specific selection of men’s clothing almost exclusively from the 70s, it’s certainly a step up from Rebel Sport (no hate).
Paper Bag Princess 4/5
This store is under appreciated. Pretty much everything is under $20, making it the cheapest Cuba Street thrift shop, and a lot of the stock is on par with its more spenny neighbouring stores. Paper Bag Princess donates to a bunch of charities and has a big focus on sustainability, so in conclusion I would like them to sponsor me.
Recycle Boutique 4/5
Ok, this is controversial, but Recycle Boutique is a bit hit and miss — its prices and the quality of its clothes vary a lot, but you can definitely find garments that hit a sweet middle ground. Sometimes the huge selection can be overwhelming, so you have to be prepared to COMMIT. If you spend under an hour of your fleeting youth in here, you’re doing it wrong.
Special Mention: charity stores in rich suburbs 3/5
The moment you figure out that the highest quality clothes for the cheapest prices can be found at the Karori Salvation Army Store is when you know it’s time to switch over to second-hand clothing for good. There are too many pre-loved turtlenecks in this world to waste your time on expensive and resource-intensive fast fashion. Stay fresh.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface