May 7, 2018 | by  | in Can Do Opinion |

Access Denied

Now that the mid-trimester break is over, exams and assignments are starting to pile up. It’s daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. As a disabled student, I’ve found that the assignment crunch can not only affect my work, but also my wellbeing. Here are my tried and true tips for managing assignments.

1. Get cosy with the content!

Looking at your notes is a great way to prepare yourself for your assignments. Identify what you need to know and simplify it. This is best done when you get the assignment brief!

1. Think about it!

Engage with the content by thinking about the assignment. Answer the questions in your head, work through them. You can do this anywhere and I find it helps to reduce stress by reinforcing familiarity.

1. Make time.

This is the hardest part. It’s really easy to leave an assignment to the last minute and then do it all in one go. However, by knowing your timetable and your needs you can plan out time to work on chunks of the assignment. Remember that referencing will take longer than you think!

1. Be honest with yourself.

Know your limits, and know your needs. In the end, your wellbeing is more important than any assignment, no matter the percentage.

1. Be responsible.

YOU are the one in charge of your study. If you need help or an extension, it’s your responsibility to get in touch with your lecturers and tutors. They are here to help, but you have to take the first step. As scary as that may be, it’s not a weakness to ask for help.

Hopefully these tips help as the trimester workload starts to increase. Remember to get in touch with Disability Services if you haven’t already — the sooner the better!