May 7, 2018 | by  | in Can Do Opinion |

Access Denied

Now that the mid-trimester break is over, exams and assignments are starting to pile up. It’s daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. As a disabled student, I’ve found that the assignment crunch can not only affect my work, but also my wellbeing. Here are my tried and true tips for managing assignments.

1. Get cosy with the content!

Looking at your notes is a great way to prepare yourself for your assignments. Identify what you need to know and simplify it. This is best done when you get the assignment brief!

1. Think about it!

Engage with the content by thinking about the assignment. Answer the questions in your head, work through them. You can do this anywhere and I find it helps to reduce stress by reinforcing familiarity.

1. Make time.

This is the hardest part. It’s really easy to leave an assignment to the last minute and then do it all in one go. However, by knowing your timetable and your needs you can plan out time to work on chunks of the assignment. Remember that referencing will take longer than you think!

1. Be honest with yourself.

Know your limits, and know your needs. In the end, your wellbeing is more important than any assignment, no matter the percentage.

1. Be responsible.

YOU are the one in charge of your study. If you need help or an extension, it’s your responsibility to get in touch with your lecturers and tutors. They are here to help, but you have to take the first step. As scary as that may be, it’s not a weakness to ask for help.

Hopefully these tips help as the trimester workload starts to increase. Remember to get in touch with Disability Services if you haven’t already — the sooner the better!

1. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  2. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  3. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  4. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  5. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  6. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands
  7. VUW to Begin Kelburn Liquor Ban Consultation
  8. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  9. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  10. I Lift My Eyes
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos