May 21, 2018 | by  | in Film |

Books to Films

Love, Simon is a classic high school rom-com filled with tons of millennial buzzwords and liberal concepts that would make hipsters orgasm on the spot. I love it.

The movie follows 17-year-old Simon Spier. His story is a cute, funny teen romance like any other. A touch of Perks of Being a Wallflower and Clueless. Except Simon is gay. He also has a secret love interest, a gay pen pal, AND HE GETS BLACKMAILED FOR IT (ooooo, drama).

Not to ruin the story, but for once the gays don’t die. AND THERE’S A HAPPY ENDING.

Finally, right?

The movie is not perfect. Would I have liked to see more than one Asian in the film? Yes. Should there have been a more meaningfully developed relationship depicted between Blue and Simon? Of course. I also would have liked to have seen a more plausible premise.

But I think that’s what the movie was going for. It’s a gay romance in the most ideal of circumstances, but there’s still issues in ideal circumstances. Throughout the film, the adorable interactions between the two are juxtaposed with events that will melt your heart in many different ways. The white girls in the cinema will probably cry and clap.

I’ve watched the movie 9 times and paid for it every time. I am going for a 10th. Don’t judge me. Go out there and support your gays. I promise this movie is a treat!

10. International Queer in Review