Eye on Exec

Marlon (VUWSA President) and Connor (Clubs and Activities Officer) went on a trip down to Otago and Canterbury, to look at how the unis there run their clubs. VUWSA is thinking of changing up how we run ours.
The Rental Tenancies Act campaign was launched last Thursday. The campaign will have an on-campus presence in Kelburn this week, and will be on other campuses next week. The intention of this campaign is to encourage students to have a say on the laws around renting, either by making a submission or making a video of themselves talking about renting. By participating, students can win a “flat pack” prize pack which contains a dehumidifier, an oil heater, and hotties.
The exec watched Dancing With the Stars together. Beth (Welfare VP) voted for Suzy, Marlon voted for David Seymour.
VUWSA are in the midst of discussions about increasing the student services levy. The student services levy goes towards things like student health, VUWSA, the crèche, and student media. The draft proposal will first be shown to various committees and rep groups before being opened up for wider consultation.
VUWSA are planning to re-sign a Memorandum of Understanding with Ngāi Tauira. The exec discussed how the two groups could work together, including sharing resources for event promotion, leadership training, and campaigns. The updated MoU was not to have any financial commitments, because the
state of VUWSA finances fluctuate year to year, and any binding commitments would not be able to be kept. Marlon mentioned that Paul Eagle, Labour MP, was keen to have the signing done in Parliament.
Paddy (Equity Officer) held a meeting with the Equity and Diversity committee, which was “great”. Highlights include: Victoria International Students’ Association (V-ISA) are launching a campaign against international student exploitation in the workplace, and are planning to run a workshop about legal rights. Victoria Feminist Organization (VicUFO) are teaming up with the Feminist Law Students’ Society (VUWFLS) to submit on abortion law reform.
Marlon motioned to end Chat in the Hat. The motion did not pass, with one in favour and four against. It was revealed that Marlon was the one who started Chat in the Hat. “I’ve created a monster,” he said. The topic of discussion was Calibri font. Some members didn’t know what Calibri was, Jack (Treasurer/Secretary) was in favour of Wingdings, Simran (Academic VP) voted Comic Sans, and Marlon liked Algerian.
Ella noted that Marlon had stolen her muffin, and had denied accusations as technically he had only stolen half the muffin. When asked to return the muffin, Marlon eventually gave Ella half a muffin, and ate the other half.
Marlon also asked us to shout out the Salient FM radio show “Two Sheilas Talking It Out”, which is on every Sunday 4-6pm.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this