May 14, 2018 | by  | in *News* |

Fairer Fares Fails to Mitigate Mount Street Marathon

Salient can confirm that the extremely steep street which students are required to traverse in order to reach Kelburn Campus is still bloody steep, regardless of any public transport discounts.

When asked about Fairer Fares changes, an extremely sweaty third year student walking up Mount Street said “that’s cool… I guess”.
Salient spoke to the heavily panting 22 year old International Relations and Anthropology student, who expressed mild enthusiasm for VUWSA’s “Fairer Fares” scheme, which will reduce the cost of public transport for students. “I guess that’s useful if you catch the bus,” he said between gasps. “Hold up, let me get to the top of the hill,” he said before answering any more questions.
Salient spoke to a number of Commerce and Design students who indicated that they might have been more inclined to enrol in Humanities or Sciences if not for the strenuous walk up to Kelburn campus. It appears that the difficulty of the walk was a significant factor in students’ choices in area of study. One student even went as far to say “I was always interested in Art History in high school, but when I discovered how sweaty I got after the walk up to Kelburn, I immediately enrolled in Marketing”.
Salient reached out to VUWSA to enquire if they or the University had any plans for an escalator up Mount Street, or even some kind of magic carpet system. They confirmed that a 25% public transport discount for students is to be rolled out in July of this year, however no escalator or other Mount Street transportation systems are in the works.

*Disclaimer: This is shit news*

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos