May 7, 2018 | by  | in *News* |

Gift Card Expiration Date Apparently a Political Issue

Middle-aged women everywhere are rejoicing this week, following Waitaki MP Jacqui Dean’s proposal to extend the expiration date on all gift cards to three years. Dean looks exactly how you might expect her to – although her face is smiling, her eyes scream “I need to speak to a manager, because this is not good enough!”
Every day at least half of New Zealand’s retail workers face off with women just like Dean, who clutch three-year-old gift cards in their wizened talons and shriek abuse because the system won’t take it. But today, that system may be coming to an end. According to Dean, “many Kiwis use gift cards as a  convenient option, but the gift can turn sour if the card is not presented by its expiry date. One in
five recipients lose out when they don’t redeem the full value before the card expires”.
Upon further investigation by Salient it may not, however, be the gift turning sour, but rather the angry old bitch who is determined to force the minimum wage worker to redeem it, even if it causes the manager to cut the workers hours next week for going against company policy. With Dean’s proposal, maybe we would all be better off. The She-Witch gets her discount, and the worker gets to go home unscathed from the trauma of having a woman with dead eyes and a gold tooth yell at them for no reason.

*Disclaimer: This is shit news.*

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos