May 14, 2018 | by  | in Arts Theatre |

Glennridge Secondary College – Aunty Donna

This Australian comedy trio are so absolutely stupid, it’s funnier than you’d expect.

Having gone to their tour show in the 2017 Comedy Fest, seeing Aunty Donna for the second time was something I had been looking forward to for a while, and the pre-tour release of their album Glennridge Secondary College only added to the hype. Bangers such as Best Day of My Life, Chuffed, and the eleven seconds long Sometimes I Struggle to Finish Projects line their Spotify profile, along with their regularly updated podcast.

The show was a compilation of all things high school that no-one enjoyed while there, but are hilarious when you no longer have to experience them every day. An example is a skit that consisted of Broden Kelly (aka Man Beast) standing stone faced in front of the audience, waiting for absolute silence, as would your deputy principal in any typical assembly. Lines were thrown at the audience such as “find your respect” and “it’s your lunchtime”. The simple genius of the act had the entire audience in tears laughing at a grown man looking incredibly grumpy.

The trio makes a certain amount of effort with their shows in coming to New Zealand to reference local culture. One of the best received jokes of the evening was a long-drawn out roll call. “Man from Wellington” was responded to with a short beat poem about art and culture, and how “Wellington truly is New Zealand’s Melbourne”. The next name on the roll call was “Man from Wellington, when we’re in Auckland”. The reply was the ever so articulate “I’m a c**t!”.

Aunty Donna is comedy that draws from the absurd, and is satisfying for those who enjoy suspending their own disbelief for the sake of a silly punchline. I get a real kick out of their shows. However, I find most of their YouTube content arduous and not that fun (with a few exceptions, namely Man Grieves Over Dead Wife. You Won’t Believe What Happens Next… and Two People Wear the Same Tie to Work). Seeing them live adds hype, and they save their best stuff for the live shows, so it’s a rewarding experience for someone who stays on track with all their content.

This show was fantastic, but it doesn’t get a perfect review. There was a moment in the middle, in which I found myself zoning out, but it was short-lived. When another skit started they had me cackling with the best of ‘em.

The guys themselves are awesome, and take the time to meet and greet everyone who can be bothered waiting in line at the end. They’ll make jokes, take a picture, and thank you for coming, and you can tell they mean it. They’re comedians, they’ll take what they can get.

8. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  9. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy
  10. Astral Rejection