Milkgate: Vic Books Staff Unhappy With Change in Milk Brand

Last Tuesday, Vic Books cafes changed the brand of the milk they use in coffee, from Zany Zeus to Meadow Fresh Organic. The decision was made by board and management, in order to give them the “best chance of running a viable business in a competitive environment,” stated manager Juliet Blyth.
Vic Books staff are unhappy with the decision, criticizing it as a cost cutting measure and a move away from ethical business. While both brands of milk are organic, Zany Zeus is a local company, based in Wellington. They source their milk from Marphona Farms, and the Organic Dairy Hub. Meadow Fresh, which is owned by Goodman Fielder, sources their milk from farms all around New Zealand.
One barista mentioned that the quality is different, and that the new milk is “not as satisfying to pour”. They said that the business’s ethical decisions was part of the reason they were attracted to this particular role. “They’re making it harder to want to be here… [it] definitely doesn’t feel like baristas are appreciated.”
Blyth stated “we have talked to staff and listened to their concerns. Fortunately, the challenges we face as an organisation are well understood”.

A staff member said customers don’t seem to have spotted the difference. “We’re at this socially aware university, it just blows that people don’t seem to notice.” “This is what we spend most of our week doing. Little things add up.”

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties