May 7, 2018 | by  | in Arts Visual Arts |

New Things for May: Some of the Same Places

If you miss me, let me know at MEANWHILE, until 19 May, free entry

Natasha Matila-Smith, Talia Smith

As MEANWHILE have noted in their press release for this show, there is a sense of isolation that tends to characterise the contemporary experience. Natasha Matila-Smith and Talia Smith’s exhibition will interrogate how sociopolitical factors influence this, and how absence of intimate satisfaction is seen as a failure within capitalist framework. Matila-Smith’s text Waiting for love in library aisles in Enjoy Public Art Gallery’s online Occasional Journal supports the premise of this exhibition, and echoes the confessional style of If you miss me, let me know.

Cavewoman at Hopkinson Mossman, until 26 May, free entry

This is only the second exhibition that Hopkinson Mossman’s Wellington space has hosted, showing Milli Jannides’ painted works. They are immensely vibrant, with thin washes of paint layered over the top. These washes seem to behave more like silk or gauze than paint though, spilling across the image unpredictably. It’s some sort of internal dream world that is caught on the canvas. These are paintings that are not distinctly contemporary in their aesthetics, but contain a very current urgency.

Art, Craft and the AIDS crisis: a panel discussion at The Dowse Art Museum, 26 May at 2pm, free entry

This panel discussion will be held in conjunction with Simon Gennard’s Sleeping Arrangements, which considers the intersection of queer intimacy and identity with the 1990s AIDS crisis. This panel will look at creative responses to the epidemic which challenge mainstream perceptions. It will be a really valuable discussion, especially for understanding the motivations and contexts that the artists implicated in Sleeping Arrangements were working within.

Super Design at Embassy Theatre, 28 May, 30 May and 4 June, student price $15.50 + booking fee

This is part of the annual Resene Design and Architecture Film Festival programme. Super Design, directed by Francesca Molteni, is set against a backdrop of 1960s terrorism and political violence in Italy. Despite the tumultuous social conditions, this was a fruitful period for Italian design, where the energy of political unrest could be transformed into creative innovation. Super Design focuses on the 19 members of the Italian Radical Movement of Architecture and Design, and their role in propelling Italy towards the design reputation it is know for today.

Rooms found only in the home at Adam Art Gallery Te Pātaka Toi, until 24 June, free entry

Somehow, love and loss are often counted among less important things in contemporary art, and someone told me that this is because contemporary art is meant to be prickly and uncomfortable and precarious. In Rooms found only in the home, Marie Shannon forms a deeply intimate environment, where her relationships with her partner, her son, other artists, and friends are navigated through thoughts of distance and hypothetical ideas. There’s an ache that you get in your jaw when trying not to cry, and I found this feeling on the bottom level of the exhibition, because love and loss demand to be counted among the most important anyway.