May 14, 2018 | by  | in Food |

Old Fashioned Scones

Strangely enough, some of my earliest memories are of making scones in preschool.

Whether it was a deep state plot to brainwash some colonialist heritage into toddlers or an exercise in following recipes, I did love getting my grubby fingers into the mixing bowl. From the uber traditional “plain-with-jam-and-cream” to the overpriced Welly coffee shop cheese scone, this pastry does a lot of heavy lifting for our collective diets. It doesn’t help that they’re probably the easiest thing you could whip up for afternoon tea if the toasted sandwich maker is broken. (PS. if you say it like scown, you’re not making your parents proud).
Ingredients
360g flour — $0.30
25g baking powder — $0.20
A pinch of salt — <$0.10
A bit more than a cup of milk — $1.00
75g of butter — $0.80
Start by cubing the butter and putting it to the side while you weigh out the dry ingredients. By cutting it up and leaving it out of the fridge, it should soften and make it easier to rub into the flour later on. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl evenly. When the butter is soft enough to squish, dump it in the dry mix and start pinching the butter into the mix. You could consider washing your hands first, but in the looming antibiotic crisis, I suspect we’ll all need a bit of bacterial resistance. Eventually the mix should start to crumble, and the butter should look evenly distributed. This is a good point to shake up the recipe, I’ll go into detail with a couple of combinations below. Add your milk into the mixture and mix it into a dough, before turning it onto a floured bench. If you have to fold it and move it around, be careful; kneading scones too much will turn them into bricks. Flatten the blob of dough out to about an inch thick and divide it into 5cm x 5cm squares. Grease a baking tray and bake the scones at 220 until they turn golden.

Plain scones are a great with jam and cream or butter, but with a couple of changes there’s a big variety in flavor that you can explore. With sweet scones, to make the texture light and fluffy, my nana’s tip is using yogurt instead of milk. Adding cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar in the dry stage will make them taste like donuts. Dried fruit like dates and sultanas goes really well, and it cuts out the added sugar. This sounds weird, but a can of lemonade instead of the milk gives it a tasty tang.

Cheese scones are extremely straightforward; add grated cheese (sorry Wellington coffee shops who should be embarrassed for charging more than $5). Though, if you wanna mess with perfection, add a pinch of cayenne pepper, which will give it a kick. Most fresh herbs would work well in a cheese scone, especially rosemary and parsley. Spinach and feta is another great combination.