May 7, 2018 | by  | in Opinion Presidential Address |

Presidential Address

My friend Cole is a good pal. We’ve known each other since year 9 in high school. Instead of going straight to uni, he decided to take a gap year. We stayed in touch a little, but really left each other very much to our own plans. At the end of that first year, we met up in London and had some beverages. It was great, as I had really missed him, and despite having taken very different paths we still linked up in an awesome way. He then spent another year in Auckland before finally moving to Vic. We barely saw each other during that time except the odd visit.

Now that he’s here though, we’re chilling again.
I really think a good friend is one that you can go months without seeing, and then when you’re back together everything falls right into place. Being originally from Auckland, you can see how this has become clear to me since I’ve moved to Wellington. I have a lot of mates back home who I don’t get to see that often, and even some in Wellington because of different schedules, but it always feels like picking up right where we left off when we meet. We exchange messages every now and again too, and I think it’s really important to let your friends and loved ones know that you’re there and you still care.

So anyway the point of this week’s column is to take a breath, take a step back, look at the people in your life that you love. Strip back the dramas and the bullshit and send them a wee message, or better yet give them a call, because the time we have with our friends and family is actually very special.

And Cole, love you mate!