May 21, 2018 | by  | in News Splash |

Queer Coverage

PAKISTAN PASSES TRANSGENDER RIGHTS PROTECTIONS INTO LAW
Pakistan’s Parliament has passed a bill guaranteeing basic human rights for its trans citizens.

The bill includes the right for citizens to self-identify as male, female, both, or neither on any legal documentation, including driver’s licences and passports. It also specifically bans the denial of basic human rights based trans identities.

The bill has been identified as a strong base to continue the amendment of law to include and support gender minorities in Pakistan.
FLORIDIAN RENTER TOLD TO REMOVE “OFFENSIVE” PRIDE FLAG
A homeowner’s association in Brevard County, Florida, has asked local resident Jennifer Raymond to take down the pride flag that she has been flying for two years. “Allowing the flag to be flown is setting a precedence [sic] for other homeowners to fly other offensive flags,” said the email, forwarded to Raymond by her landlord.

Raymond, a lesbian mother of three, disagreed. “It’s a symbol of acceptance, tolerance, and equality. They’re saying it’s offensive. To me, that’s like saying I’m offensive because I exist.”

Her landlord has supported her position and is opposing the homeowner’s association request.

TONGAN ROYAL FAMILY MEMBER SPEAKS OUT AGAINST ISRAEL FOLAU COMMENTS
Homophobic comments made by Israel Folau last month continue to attract criticism, most recently from members of the Tongan Royal Family. Frederica Tuita Filipe, niece of the Tongan King George IV, tweeted her criticism of Folau’s comments on 9 May: “My silence was my attempt at respecting our different interpretations, but I fear by doing that I’m encouraging the marginalisation of a group of people I love & serve as much as any other Tongan.”

New Zealand rugby teams have also continued to show symbolic support for the LGBTQIA+ community, notably Halfback TJ Perenara and other members of the Hurricanes.
LENA WAITHE ADORNS PRIDE FLAG AT MET GALA
Actor and screenwriter Lena Waithe made an appearance at this year’s Met Gala red carpet in a large, Pride Flag inspired cape. The theme for this year’s Met Gala was “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination”, and saw a range of Catholic based outfits.

Waithe was an exception, using the high profile event to promote and celebrate queer identities with the Pride Flag, which included a brown stripe as an explicit reference to queer PoC. “It’s like my skin. I’m proud to be in it and put the community on my back to make sure they know I got ’em all the time,” Waithe said to onlookers at the Gala.