May 7, 2018 | by  | in News Splash |

Restructuring of Bachelor of Arts at Auckland University

Following on from the proposed closure of various specialty libraries at the University of Auckland, more changes are being put in place for students studying a Bachelor of Arts in 2018. All students who choose to pursue a Bachelor of Arts from 2018 at University of Auckland must now undertake a double major,
while still studying a third subject, although this third subject will not be counted in their degree.

Previously, students could choose to complete a BA with either a major and a minor, or with a double major. The University of Auckland has said that the aim of the new BA structure was to “give students a degree with greater academic depth and focus, and to enhance preparation for employment or postgraduate study”. A student at the University of Auckland has criticized the change for not being widely publicized. While the new degree structure is visible on the University of Auckland website, the student said that “I wouldn’t say the knowledge is widespread”.

The new degree structure does not immediately affect students who have already begun their studies, as it applies to students starting a BA in 2018. Students who had chosen to take a double major in the hopes of having an advantage over others will no longer have that potential advantage. BA students were consulted about the decision, with more than 300 current students completing an online survey about the degree structure.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos