May 21, 2018 | by  | in Opinion The F Word |

The “F” Word

After trying to start a feminist club in a conservative Auckland Grammar School, I have heard my fair share of sexist comments. But living in a hall has brought those sexist comments home from school.

Sexism festers in halls just as pervasively as fresher flu. Sexist comments trickle out of the mouths of guys and girls that I share close quarters with — these comments are invading my personal space, I am sure they’re invading yours too. And ladies, we need ways to fight off these comments and make our living spaces sexism-free. We wouldn’t have let misogynistic boys traipse into our living room at home and mansplain the reasons why they don’t believe in feminism. If they did, I would first ask how the hell they got into my house, and then kindly ask them to fuck off!

I also know that walking around with a neon sign over your head reading FEMINIST isn’t always the best way to meet new people. But in reality, voicing your opinions on something that is sexist, racist, or homophobic is the best way to figure out who your friends are.
If the boy down the hall says he is going to try to move out of his law lecture because he doesn’t like female lecturer’s “teaching style” then let him know that “that’s pretty sexist dude!!” Navigating first year as a raging feminist may seem tricky at times, but it’s important to stand up for your rights, even when it may seem polarising and scary.
So, as the multi-talented Troy Bolton once said “We’re all in this together”, and it’s so true. Us first year feminists have to stick together — babe I got your back!

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos