May 7, 2018 | by  | in Politics |

The Party Line

Should the Government intervene to halt the closure of specialist libraries at Auckland University?

VicNats
No. Universities operate as independent crown entities and are free to make their own choices about how they best use their assets. The Young Nats believe that if the Government intervened at the  University of Auckland, it would be a dangerous attack on academic freedoms and the abilities of Universities to teach what they see fit. This kind of intervention would just be another time the Government overstepped their mandate, much like Shane Jones did with Air New Zealand.

– Graham Woods

VicLabour

What we are seeing in this situation, is the effect of nine years of a National Government running a free market tertiary education system. Resources are going towards the faculties that will make the universities the most money. The Labour Party wants to fund education in a more equitable way, they are just trying to figure out how at the moment. Hopefully, we’ll see something promising in this term so
the current defunding of the Arts does not continue to happen to universities around the country.

Greens At Vic

Yes. The closure of these libraries will have a detrimental impact on the education of the students. Those whose libraries are being shut will be funnelled into already cramped study spaces, which will affect
other students – their access to resources will become limited.
Not only will the closures mean taking away valuable knowledge and resources, but it will also mean taking away support for the students. One such student at Auckland University told me that they were outraged at the closures because for them it takes away qualified legal librarians who are able to help and support law students. By reducing students’ resources this closure is violating students’ rights to get the most out of their education (which they are paying for).
Greens at Vic urges the Government to intervene to stop the closure of specialist libraries. The Government should be trying to protect students’ rights. Green MP Chlöe Swarbrick is supporting the
Auckland University Students’ Association’s campaign against the closures.

– Jessie Dromgool

Act on Campus

Act on Campus understands the importance of libraries on campus, in particular special use libraries are important for the knowledge that they contain and also as a space to encourage learning and creativity such as the Elam library. Judging on the protests we’ve been seeing and the feeling around campus, students want these libraries to stay open and they should continue to use their freedom of expression
to rally the university to keep them open. Ultimately the students make the university and it is within the UoA’s interest to do the best by students so students should make their voices on this matter known. The
power is in the students’ hands to keep the libraries open and it is not a government issue, it’s a university issue. I personally hope that the university listens to the students and does the right thing by them, from talking to students in Auckland they really value these libraries.

1. My Attention is Broke
  2. WHERE VIRAL DREAMS GO TO DIE
  3. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube