June 5, 2018 | by  | in Film |

Dear White People

In celebration of our opinion issue, I am going to do a movie review of a movie that presents semi “controversial” opinions.
Dear White People centres on the biracial character Sam, who is navigating life in college, and being an active voice speaking out on the nuances of systematic racism towards black people on her radio segment “Dear White People”. Naturally, there is an outrage among the white people, and even some black people too (you can’t please everyone).
This film explores various intersections of the black identity, and different views that come with that. At the heart of the film is the idea of free speech, opinion, political ideologies, and discussion about how the black identity is shaped and used in America. It definitely has some words to say to Kanye about slavery being a choice.
Dear White People gives a critical outlook and opinion of what African Americans have to deal with, even in a “modern” and “liberal” society. It puts a spotlight onto many relevant issues of not just race, but alienation in one’s identity, and the nuances of justice and morality. The film also has some cheeky Taylor Swift references in there. (I forever stan).
From black appropriation to white fragility, Dear White People is sure to cause uncomfortable conversation in a white household, and damn isn’t that great. Divide some opinions and potentially hurt the egos of your white friends by watching the film or the TV series on Netflix now.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this