June 5, 2018 | by  | in Politics |

Political Round-Up

Budget Opinion
Call me sad, but I had been looking forward to Jacinda’s first Budget for a good long while. Of course, I had the idea that this would be a day of confirming or denying the hole in Labour’s three year plan that Minister for Everything Steven Joyce whinged to the media about last year. Seemed like a pretty big deal at the time, when he claimed that it amounted to around 11.7 billion dollars.

What I could never fathom about Budget day is that how it is the most hyped up day of politics and also the most boring? Politicians need to use language around money that the masses can relate to — no wonder people my age don’t want to contribute to the political scene in New Zealand. We just don’t understand, and so many just don’t care.

I’m not a fake Labour fan because of fees-free this year, I’ve been wanting the party to make a difference all my life. But with no further money being put towards changes that benefit university students in the Budget, it certainly won’t get us voting at the polling booths come 2020. Robertson’s yarn didn’t grab me at all. There was nothing in it for me. Political commentators are like a broken record, saying that this is the era of “generational politics” where youth issues are becoming more important in society. This age group needs another reason to hope in our Government.
Labour went all out on the fees-free campaign policy, and it did get more students to vote — 6.5% more of them to be exact. I’m one of the few lucky ones not having to deal with StudyLink and having a student loan, so I’ve been wanting to know if I’ll have to borrow money from the Government in order to continue my education. That’s the peace of mind I’ve been after for a good long while.
With the Budget now delivered, and Kingmaker Winston Peters due to take the reigns of the Labour NZ First Government around mid June, he is left to implement the monetary promises being laid down by Finance Minister Grant Robertson.

Right now, we live in a sad nation when the Budget is the one thing the media looks forward to in the political calendar.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this