June 5, 2018 | by  | in News |

Queer Coverage: Local, National, and International LGBTQIA+ News

CANADIAN BIRTH CERTIFICATES TO ALLOW FOR NO GENDER MARKER
On 25 May, the government of Saskatchewan, Canada, ruled that birth certificates can now be issued without a gender marker, following two complaints made in 2014 and 2017.
The province of Ontario also allows for the removal of a gender marker from a birth certificate, although the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission stated that Saskatchewan is the first province to be told by a court to permit the removal of gender on the certificates.
The federal Canadian Government implemented gender neutral passports last year, allowing people the option of M, F, or X. Canada also recognises gender neutral passports from other countries.
HIGH PROFILE BUSINESS WOMAN KAZUYO KATSUMA COMES OUT
Kazuyo Katsuma has come out in an interview with Buzzfeed Japan, revealing that she is in a same-sex relationship with prominent LGBT rights activist Hiroko Masuhara.
Katsuma said she decided to come out as it was an “opportunity for society to change”.

Named on the Wall Street Journal’s “50 Women to Watch” list in 2005, Katsuma is well-known in Japan, particularly as an advocate for working mothers.
Japan currently has no federal recognition of same-sex marriage.

SIR IAN MCKELLAN “NOT SURPRISED” DUMBLEDORE NOT EXPLICITLY DEPICTED AS GAY
Sir Ian McKellan has remarked that, though frustrated, he is not surprised that Dumbledore’s sexuality won’t be alluded to in the next instalment of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Director of the film David Yates has defended the decision, saying “…fans are already ‘aware’ of Dumbledore’s relationship with Grindelwald”.
J.K. Rowling never alluded to Dumbledore’s sexuality in any of the Harry Potter novels, but in 2007 — three months after the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — she told a fan she’d “always thought of Dumbledore as gay”.
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald is set to be released in the United States on 16 November 2018.

10. International Queer in Review