June 5, 2018 | by  | in The International Angle |

The International Angle

Crazy Rich Kids
— that’s most probably the assumption many people would make when it comes to international students. To most, international students come from well-off families who can afford just about anything. We’re seen as the spoilt brats who never knew what it was like to be broke and struggling to pay bills. This distorted mindset not only generalizes all international students as a whole, but also discredits the hard work and obstacles we face while adjusting to the new academic and social environment.
The majority of international students actually work part-time while pursuing a higher education, with some working up to 20 hours a week just to make ends meet. Financial burden has always been listed as one of the main concerns amongst international students while studying abroad, and it puts a significant amount of pressure on us. Many international students are on scholarships or receiving government aid which allows them to study at their desired university without having to pay the terribly high fees set for non-domestic students. Not to mention, some students were indeed born with a silver spoon still make their living on their own.
Battling with homesickness and loneliness can take such a toll on someone, but working part-time, keeping one’s grades up, and making sure there’s still a somewhat decent social life on the table is a true conundrum. Thus, it is frustrating (borderline outrageous) when there are these misconceptions telling you that you’re better off than everyone else, totally dismissing all the sweat and tears you’ve put into balancing your life. Not that there are not these crazy rich kids around who come from elite families with an abundant amount of money to spend, but there are so many international students out there struggling and working so hard to live out their dreams.

1. “The movement is diverse, the battlegrounds are different”: Talking feminism with Golriz Ghahraman.
  2. Legalising Abortion Is Still Best Option, Even for Pro-Lifers
  3. hidden figures
  4. Accessibility: Teri O’Neill is Running for Council
  5. VUW’s Women are Fucking Good at Sport
  6. Research: Third of Tertiary Students Sexually Assaulted At University
  7. Battle Of The SECS’: VUW Failing Women In Tech
  8. Issue 15 – Feminism