July 16, 2018 | by  | in *News* |

Auto Play Support Group Created

With the new trimester beginning, lecturers at VUW have begun a support group to deal with one of their chief sources of psychological trauma: the revelations derived from YouTube autoplay.
Leanne Shaw, psychology lecturer and founding member of the group, said “many a lecturer has suffered a revelation of their personal interests through neglecting to switch off the autoplay button. Unfortunately, I am one of them. I thought a collective space to process these traumas and offer solace to the suffering”.
She said that it was beyond her responsibility to talk about the individual events, but a quick survey of students who showed up to class uncovered the rumours that Shaw had played a CareBears compilation video. The video was set to “Rainbow Connection” because of course — it started playing after she showed a video in her child psychology course. More worrying was the “How to Defuse a Bomb” video that autoplayed during an architecture lecture, as well as a “what is the purpose of law” video during a 400 level law course.

“It’s a far reaching issue,” said Shaw. “The circle of a new video loading while a lecturer doesn’t notice is terrifying for all involved.”
She did not say whether the support group would include a demonstration of how to disable autoplay on YouTube.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface