July 16, 2018 | by  | in *News* |

Auto Play Support Group Created

With the new trimester beginning, lecturers at VUW have begun a support group to deal with one of their chief sources of psychological trauma: the revelations derived from YouTube autoplay.
Leanne Shaw, psychology lecturer and founding member of the group, said “many a lecturer has suffered a revelation of their personal interests through neglecting to switch off the autoplay button. Unfortunately, I am one of them. I thought a collective space to process these traumas and offer solace to the suffering”.
She said that it was beyond her responsibility to talk about the individual events, but a quick survey of students who showed up to class uncovered the rumours that Shaw had played a CareBears compilation video. The video was set to “Rainbow Connection” because of course — it started playing after she showed a video in her child psychology course. More worrying was the “How to Defuse a Bomb” video that autoplayed during an architecture lecture, as well as a “what is the purpose of law” video during a 400 level law course.

“It’s a far reaching issue,” said Shaw. “The circle of a new video loading while a lecturer doesn’t notice is terrifying for all involved.”
She did not say whether the support group would include a demonstration of how to disable autoplay on YouTube.