Clubs Funding Pool Runs Dry

Victoria University’s funding pool for clubs has run out for the 2018 academic year.
Several sources, including the Clubs Administrator and the Clubs and Activities Officer, confirmed that the clubs funding pool has been exhausted in July this year.
Victoria University administers clubs, rep-groups, and recreation through Victoria Recreation. “Vic Rec” allocated $208,000 to the funding pool for 2018, down from $230,000 in 2017 (a 9.5% drop).
This budget is allocated to clubs, athletes, and other areas. Funding applications are assessed by the Sponsorship Panel. Connor MacLeod, VUWSA Clubs and Activities Officer, chairs the panel in partnership with Vic Rec.
MacLeod explained that the Panel’s assessment of applications is largely discretionary with “no real guidelines” aside from funding caps.
Although acknowledging that it was “not good” that funding has run out, he stands by the funding decisions made.

MacLeod is more concerned at the way clubs funding is structured. He believes they should move towards an investment model, by giving money to support clubs towards self-sustainability.
An anonymous student has said that the “unusually early” funding issues was due to a preference for earlier, bulk spending by clubs this year.
Emails from 14 and 28 June from Vic Rec to clubs indicated funding had mostly run out by then.
For the remainder of the year, the Sponsorship Panel will be reviewing a waitlist of applications for 2019, and allocating unspent funding returned by clubs. MacLeod indicated that the latter would not be a significant amount of funding. He was unable to comment on whether Victoria Recreation would be willing or able to allocate more funding for the funding pool.
A panel comprised of VUWSA, a Club Council member, and Vic Rec Staff will be reviewing funding grant processes and criteria for club funding.There will also be consultation with clubs regarding the future of clubs support at the University. MacLeod looks forward to this process, and appreciates that both VUWSA and VUW are “passionate” about clubs and recreation at the university.
Representative Group funding is a separate pool from clubs funding and has not run out yet.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos